Sicky icky icky

Sunday, October 19, 2008

It seems that a hectic week of running through Paris from hot to cold and cold to hot has finally caught up with me. Saturday morning I woke up with a scratchy throat, achy bones and crazy sinus pressure. My body seems to be punishing me for the lunchless days of waking up anywhere between 7 and 9 am, trekking to and from various arrondissements, coffee dates and grocery shopping sprees that had me carrying two-times my weight in pasta and poultry. I think the four hours of walking through the hilly Montmartre 'hood in search of costumes on Friday is what finally did me in.

It's been a while since I've had a structured routine that consists of regular physical and mental exercise. Until recently, my days have mostly been filled by completing things from my to-do list without a set, strict schedule. It's hard to get all of those things that have normally filled my day done with the five hours of classes (including travel time) that I've added to each of my weekdays. I've been managing this past week by skipping meals, forgetting to hydrate and consuming copious amounts of caffeine and sugar, but that's apparently not good for me. I'm not a stranger to hectic days and keeping up with a crazy schedule, it's just that we've got to get reacquainted.

I am, however, glad that the bug I caught decided to let me enjoy the Friday fête before rearing its ugly head the next day. Gui and I had been looking forward to a costume party that our friend was throwing at his place in the 13ème. He'd sent around the invites on letterhead of the United Nations Council and requested everyone's presence in traditional garb from the country we were representing. After a few moments of discussion, Gui and I settled on representing the wonderful countries of Native America (it's a nation in my book) and Mexico. After rummaging and climbing through the fabric shops in Montmartre, Gui's Mexican pancho was cast aside for the much easier-to-construct tartan kilt of a Scotsman. (Actually, it was finding that the cheapest Mexican zarape was a whopping 40€ that really prompted the switch.) After several hours of crazy fabric shopping, I came home, tended to my blistered feet and set to work on rigging up two costumes without a sewing machine. Four hours later, we were en route to our first ever UN meeting where my red-feathered self quickly earned the name "Poca" and "what's under Gui's skirt" was the evening's game of choice.

We spent most of Saturday in the Toyota dealership with Gui's mom, trying not to get haggled by a French car salesman and spent an early evening celebrating a friends' birthday with a lovely dinner and cake party where I avoided spreading my germs through les bisous and my foggy brain tried to remember how to say simple sentences in French. Today, I've managed to catch myself up on at least two days worth of sleep. I finally relocated to the living room and Gui's been nursing me back to health with large doses of multivitamin juice and tomato soup. It's a shame, really because today is as gorgeous a day as it's been all week, and hibernating inside is the last thing I want to be doing. Not to mention I have more homework than I know what to do with.

Representing the Apache Nation.

American Indian and a cross-dressing Frenchie.

A real Frenchie!

A beer-belly totin' American.

Another American, Frenchie and a Chinaman (the party host).

I guess someone didn't mind paying 40€ to be a Mexican.

Representing the Vatican and Bretagne?


Candy said...

OMG! WHat fun! You look so darn cute...wish you were here so i could borrow your costume!! love you.

kylie said...

oh! looks like fun. that's one thing i miss here in the ole hexagon - costume parties for halloween. :D

DiaryofWhy said...

I enjoy all of those costume, and I especially like how the baguette in the Frenchie's costume has that extra authentic look by being partially eaten. :)

TEXAS SARAH. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.